Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Puppy silhouettes!


I finally got my act together and started a project I have been planning for a long time: framed puppy silhouettes.

I have been dying to make one for Hurley for a while. But now I have even more reason to start the project, because we have a new addition to the family: Princess Brownie Bite.

First I found some frames at a thrift store. It couldn't have been more perfect that they match and are actually wood!

Had to gut out the cross stitching. Sorry grandma. Cleaned them up and spray painted them black.

I designed the profiles for the dogs and cut them out with the silhouette. Had to use the Xacto to fine tune them, but they came out great! I did this while the frames were drying.

Finally, added them to frames and done! I used the silhouette to cut out custom "mats" using flowered vellum (which I will not be using again, disaster!) They're so cute, I love them!

How much better the backs of them look now,

Here is Hurley's up close:

and both of them again:


I love thrift store projects! To make both of them cost me just around $30. Next step, mine and Eric's silhouette in bigger frames in the middle. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Wow love your work, it is so inspiring to me to see what you do with your silhouette. I have had mine for about 18 months and have hardly used it. I consider myself a collector...lol.
    Guess I better get off my butt,
    There is something I have to say love the pics of your dog, but I have a hard time with what you did with the antique frames. I think I would have done the dog in a gold leaf and antiqued it to match the frames. I have to say though it looks good in black :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! I kept my Silhouette in the box for a long time too out of sheer intimidation, but now as you can see, I can't stop. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I am having with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do this with children, do you know how I could. lucyjoe4ever@hotmail.com Thank you!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete